In the beginning of April, my ward had it's 2nd annual Cub Car Rally, a.k.a. a pinewood derby! Last year it was just for the youth, but this year, the whole ward was included! I think they gave out around 100 cars, (for people to build). On the actual night there was around 60 cars entered to race! We had young women's/young men's activities where we could build our cars, (at my house). For the first few weeks after we got our cars, I wasn't sure what to make. Last year I made a pink 1950's Chevy convertible,that was awesome :). Should I go for style or speed? I wanted to do Lightning McQueen or another character. Finally I decided to make a wedge, which had won last year. My dad was making the same thing. My dad cut the shape and put on axles he bought that were supposed to be fast. Then I painted it white. My dad also put in weights in the back. It turned out being too heavy, so we shaved out some wood in the bottom and I painted over that. The last step was the easiest, I put a blue Roxy sticker on it and the Roxy Rebel was ready!
On the night of the rally I was really excited! There were a lot of cool cars like a horse, (Sierra) a block of cheese, (Pratt's) and Ryan Calder's awesome car he spent 50+ hours on! I thought my car was decently fast, and I was really excited when it won the first round! Then it won it's second round, and it kept winning! It made it to the final round, the championship round!! My dad's car and Matt's old car my mom was racing also made it. I won!!!!! My car took first, my dad took second, (close to that) and Matt's car took third, (2nd or third I think). The Allen sweep! :) I got a certificate and a little trophy. Other men in my ward wanted to race my car again to make sure that theirs couldn't beat it. I was really excited that I had won! It was a great night and I'm sure the tradition will continue, the cub car rally, not the Allen sweep, but we'll see! ;) Here are some pictures!
Monday, June 30, 2008
Cub Car Rally
Posted by Megan Marie at 8:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comments:
Go Megan! Not many people can say they beat their Dad in a Pinewood Derby! Happy Summer!
Post a Comment